Winesong: 32 Years Of Charitably Good Taste
As if anyone needed an excuse to go to Mendocino, the 32nd Annual Winesong charitable event to benefit the Mendocino Coast Hospital Foundation is taking place September 9 and 10 on the beautiful coast. This fundraiser packs in more “fun” than most such events, owing to two major factors which cannot be duplicated anywhere else: the incomparably enchanting setting of the Botanical Gardens outside of Ft. Bragg and the equally enchanting local wines produced by Mendocino’s renowned and revered wineries.
Get ready for a weekend of award-winning wine, fabulous food, fine art, music and merriment, as this year’s festival kicks off Friday, September 9, with A Pinot Noir Celebration at the Little River Inn, from 1 to 4pm. More than two dozen Pinot producers will be sharing their current and library releases, and you’ll meet new brands along with well-known ones, including Domaine Anderson, Balo, Copain, Dutton Goldfield, Elke, Foursight, Fathers & Daughters, Handley Cellars, Knez, Lazy Creek, Lula, Masut, Papapietro, Panthea, Toulouse, Waits-Mast, Walt and Witching Stick. Food by Marc Dym, beloved Executive Chef of The Little River Inn, will be perfectly paired with some of the world’s finest Pinots.
Then it’s on to the Grand Tasting at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens on Saturday, September 10, where you’ll enjoy world-class wines from the best names in Mendocino, Napa, Sonoma and beyond, along with bites from nearly 50 fine food purveyors. You won’t believe how abundant and special the food is, and how splendidly presented. Good thing it’s accompanied by abundantly good wine, too, including the “Best of Show White” at the recently held 2016 Mendocino Wine Competition, the brilliant 2015 Handley Pinot Gris.
The center of the action is at the auction tents, where Live and Silent Auctions offer over 100 Hot! Hot! Auction Lots. Revered artist and long-time Winesong supporter, the late Lowell Herrero, is being honored as this year’s Artist of the Year, with Grace Family Vineyards as the 2016 Honored Winery.
Bid to win spectacular wines from a selection of prestigious wine producers, rare and hard-to-find vintages, and special vertical and horizontal collections. Original paintings and art from highly acclaimed artists, as well as domestic and international vacation packages and custom-designed wine getaway experiences will also share the auction limelight. And of course, many intriguing objects of desire will be featured at both the silent and super silent auctions.
Featured ‘HOT LOT’ Auction Items at Winesong 2016:
- 24-bottle vertical of Chateauneuf du Pape – Chateau de Beaucastel
- 4 “Perfect wines” rated 100 points by Robert Parker – all 2005 vintages of Bordeaux blends
- Six-bottles of 1987 Opus One
- Golf at St. Andrews, Scotland (2 people) – 7 night stay at 5-star Fairmont St. Andrews Golf Resort & Spa
- Tuscany Truffle Hunt (4 people) – 7 nights in a private villa in Cortona, Italy (think Under the Tuscan Sun)
- Kentucky Bourbon Trail (4 people) – 3 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Louisville
- Indy 500 (2 people) – 3 night stay at Conrad Hotel, plus tickets for 101st Indy 500, includes parade, grandstand seats, pit & garage area, Snakepit Ball
- Lowell Herrero’s “Garvey Grape Harvest” – 4’ x 5’ framed giclee on canvas (Artist of the Year)
- Edward Gordon, rare signed limited edition giclee, “Corner Room” (28/350)
- Grace Family Vineyards tour, tasting and dinner for 4 with Grace Family and Janet Herreroplus. Etched 3L of Lowell Herrero’s work and a 3’ x 4’ giclee of “Graceful Harvest” by the same artist.
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Estate Wine Tasting & Cave Tour for 4, plus limited edition etched double magnum of 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Judgment of Paris.
The event’s main sponsor, Celebrity Cruises, is supporting Winesong for the second year as part of their commitment to enhancing the life of the collective community in Northern California.
Many additional local and national businesses will also be sponsoring this year’s event, including Harvest Market, North Coast Brewing Company, JetBlue, Mendo Lake Credit Union, The Coast FM – KOZT, Savings Bank of Mendocino, Mendocino Winegrowers, Inc., Safeway, CalStar Air Ambulance, Anderson Valley Winegrowers Association, and Birchware Compostable Utensils.
For further information the 2016 Winesong event sponsors, visit http://winesong.org/sponsors-2/.
Some Silent Auction Highlights
- Case of Gold Medal winning wines from 2016 Mendocino County Fair Wine Competition along with Harvest Party tickets
- Vertical of Waits-Mast Deerwood Pinot Noir, including the 2012 which was poured at a state dinner at the White House
- 7-bottle vertical of Grace Family (’86, ’87, ’88, 89, ’91, ’92, ’93) No 1990
- Quady Winery Starboards Port Vertical (6)
- Blend Your Own – winemaker seminar/class at Brutocao Cellars with a 3L of your own blend to take home
- Massive Yorkville Highlands Wine Lot, including:
- 2010 Yorkville Cellars Unique 6 Pack of Noble Reds: Cebernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Carmenere, plus 1-Year Club Membership, Tour & Tasting for 10
- Erin Dertner oil painting on 6L bottle, “Dreamy California”
- Paul Reiber Walnut Sculpture, 12″ x 8″ x 4″; “Oh So Vino” Bear
- 2014 Maple Creek Estate Reserve Chardonnay, Yorkville Highlands 1.5L, signed by winemaker Tom Rodrigues
- 2012, 2013, 2014 Vertical of Maple Creek Estate Reserve Chardonnay, Yorkville Highlands 1.5L, winemaker signed, Tom Rodrigues
- 2014 Yorkville Cellars Malbec (9) for Erin Dertner artist bottle
- 2012 Judson Hale Winery Selection (6)
A Pinot Noir Celebration: Meet the Winemakers
Friday, September 9, 2016 | 1 to 4 p.m.
Attendees will enjoy Pinot Noir from renowned Pinot regions, including the Anderson Valley and Sonoma Coast, alongside tastes of Little River Inn’s finest culinary offerings. General Admission Tickets, $75 per person.
Wine & Food Grand Tasting in the Gardens
Saturday, September 10, 2016 | 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Stroll through the lush Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens while enjoying vintages from world-class wineries. Sample beer, spirits, and food from fine purveyors, accompanied by a musical cornucopia of jazz, classical, blues, calypso and folk rock. General Admission Tickets with festival seating at the auction and access to wine and food tasting are $150 per person.
Silent & Live Auctions
Saturday, September 10, 2016 | SILENT: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; LIVE: 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The centerpiece of Winesong weekend is the Charity Auction, featuring both a silent and live auction. Auction Reserve Tickets with assigned seating under the auction tent (with catered lunch) and access to wine and food tasting are $250 per person.
Tickets to all events are available for purchase at: https://winesong.ejoinme.org/purchase-tickets-winesong-2016.
For further information, please visit http://winesong.org or call (707) 961-4688.
About Winesong & the Mendocino Coast Hospital Foundation
Winesong is produced by the Mendocino Coast Hospital Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for the Mendocino Coast District Hospital. Its mission is to help the small rural Hospital provide the best possible medical care to residents as well as the many visitors to the Mendocino Coast. Winesong proceeds have enabled the Hospital to purchase chemotherapy equipment, portable ultrasound machines for the Emergency Room as well as a state-of-the-art Diagnostic Imaging Center, Cardiology Equipment, and most recently, a Bedside Medicine Verification System.